First time using Zoom?
Download and Launch the Zoom Mobile App
The Zoom mobile app is available for both iOS and Android devices.
- For iOS, search “Zoom” on Apple AppStore or open Safari, and enter zoom.us. It will direct you to http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zoom.us-cloud-video-meetings/id546505307
- For Android, search “Zoom Meetings” on Google Play. It will direct you to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.zoom.videomeetings
Please ensure you have Zoom version 5.2 or higher in order to participate with the full features designed for the online teaching sessions. Do check this with plenty of time in advance of our first session so you don’t get caught out having to download an updated version and miss some of the session. It should only take 5-10 minutes to update.
- Time: Please arrive at the meeting on time and check the start time for your time zone. You can find the schedule and timezone conversions here.
- Internet connection: Please ensure you have a stable internet connection. A reminder that you will likely need to charge your device during the teaching sessions so try to be situated near a PowerPoint.
- Name: Please check that your name on the zoom profile you are using is your name. You can follow this guide to see how to customise your profile and add your pronouns if you wish. Alternatively, there is a how-to guide below to rename yourself once you join the zoom meeting.
- Microphone/video: While you are in the teachings please have your video on and your microphone off (bottom left) unless you want to ask a question and the teacher asks you to turn your mic on. If your internet connection is poor you can turn your video off if needed.
- Sound: If you are having trouble hearing the meeting, attach a speaker to your computer or use a headset. Please keep movement and distractions to a minimum. Earphones are great to help you focus on the teaching (with fewer distractions). Also, make sure you keep disturbances from outside to a minimum.
- Lighting: Best to make sure the light is in front of you not behind you so that others can see you.
- Chat function: Use the chat feature to contact the host if you need technical support or to ask questions. You’re welcome also to send a personal message to someone letting them for example know that you can relate to them.
- Self-care: Make sure you have everything ready, before the session starts, such as a cup of tea or a glass of water and a snack.
Zoom Technical Tips and User Guide
Participants’ control and actions
Along the bottom of the Zoom screen you can find the following from left to right (depending on your screen width):
At the top right corner of the Zoom screen, there is an icon that allows you to choose speaker view (whoever is talking) or gallery view (one or multiple screens of all participants). Choose speaker view to ensure the best experience of listening to what is shared.
How do I join?
Click on the link in the email or the appointment calendar invite sent to you.
If still unsure, watch this one-minute video explanation.
How do I turn my video on or off?
Click the Video icon in the bottom left-hand corner of the Zoom screen. If you turn your video off, you will still be able to hear the audio portion of the event but the other participants won’t be able to see you. To become visible on screen again, click the icon again to turn on your camera.
How do I raise my hand?
Click on the “Participant” icon in the centre bottom of your screen if you are on a desktop computer. A box will open with the option “Raise Hand.” Click on the Raise Hand button and wait for the host to call your name and unmute your microphone.
When calling from a phone, press *9.
How do I mute or unmute my microphone?
Click on the microphone symbol. When the red line is across the microphone, it is muted. When the red line is gone, you are unmuted. In general, keep your microphone muted to reduce background noise.
When calling from a phone, press *6.
What if I’m hearing a lot of feedback noise?
If you joined via telephone after joining via computer, please select “Audio Options” by clicking on the arrow next to the video symbol and choose “Leave Computer Audio”. Then enter #Participant ID#. Otherwise, you may hear audio feedback or echo in the meeting.
How do I change my name when in a meeting?
- Tap Participants.
- Hover over your name on the participants’ list.
- Click More.
- Click Rename.
- Enter the name you desire then click Rename.
- Your name has now been changed within the meeting.
How do I change my view of the speaker?
Click on the icon in the upper right-hand corner of the Zoom screen to toggle between Speaker View and Gallery View. The Speaker view allows you to see the person that is speaking as a larger image and rotates with whoever has the floor. Gallery View allows you to see one large view with up to 25 smaller screens of your fellow participants.
What if my video or camera isn’t working?
Troubleshoot your video issue using Zoom’s video camera help guide.
What if my audio isn’t working?
Troubleshoot your audio issue using Zoom’s audio help guide. You might also try leaving the event and rejoining it, making sure you click the green button that says “Join Audio Conference by Computer.” You could also try joining the event on a different device. It is always good to check your audio is working before the meeting starts.
How do I contact Zoom’s Customer Support?
Go to the Zoom Help Center for helpful instructions, videos, tutorials, and personal assistance.
What if I lose my connection?
Try logging back in, if this works you will come back to the waiting room and the host will let you in. Otherwise, try from an alternative device or check your internet connection and wifi.