Hi, I’m Nathalie, and accompany people therapeutically as a holistic counsellor and coach. I walk alongside people dealing with the challenges presented by life and death. I’m also a writer and published author of multiple grief resource books and the founder of the Grieving Parents Support Network.
Nathalie is a passionate writer, holistic counsellor, coach, woman & mother. Her areas of specialty are relationships, grief, and trauma.
She has independently authored and published various grief resource books. In her role as a therapist, she loves to help people find their inspiration for healthy grieving. She is also a speaker at international conferences and workshops in the area of bereavement and relationships.
If you are curious and want to know more about Nathalie’s personal story, listen to her podcast episode 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY EPISODE! Nathalie Himmelrich Developmental Trauma, Sexual Abuse, and Family History of Grief and Loss.
“Trauma is not what happened to you, but what happens within you as a response to it.”— Gabor Mate
Raising a newborn, at the same time as grieving was confusing. “At least, you’ve got one, and she is healthy,” some said, while others added, “You’ve got to stay strong for your husband and child.”
I grew up in Switzerland but was living in Sydney, Australia at the time. There were more than 16,000 kilometers separating me from my family.
Only four and a half months later my mother died from suicide. Our world was rocked in a way that I cannot even begin to describe.
My life before those traumatic losses wasn’t devoid of grief and loss. One would say I was practiced at grieving, letting go, and moving forward in life. Yet, those unexpected, impactful, and traumatic deaths impacted me and my husband more than anything before. “Losing a child is the worst any parent has to endure” became a reality for me.
Now, 10 years later, I can say that I have not only survived but thrived.
Let me help you.
Let me show you how, not only how to survive, but how to thrive.
You were not born to be beaten by your trauma, but to rise from it.
- Psychology Masters in Social Science (in Training) (ACAP, Australian College of Applied Psychology, Sydney, Australia)
- ACMC Associate Certified Meta-Coach (Sydney, Australia)
- Grad Dip Psychotherapy (ACAP, Sydney, Australia)
- Bachelor in Education (Zurich, Switzerland)
Working in Private Practice since 2004
- The Polyvagal Certificate Course – Safety, Connection, and the Human Experience (Stephen Porges, Deb Dana, et all., Polyvagal Institute)
- NARM – Neuro Affective Relational Model – Developmental Trauma Therapy (Michael Mokrus, Polarity, Zurich, Switzerland)
- SE Trauma Therapy – Somatic Experiencing – Shock & Developmental Trauma Therapy (Urs Honauer, Polarity Bildungszentrum & Zentrum für Innere Oekologie, Zurich, Switzerland)
- Holistic Counselling, A Psychology of Awakening, on the basis of the Lataif System and Essence work (Rafia Morgan and Turiya Hannover, Working With People, Italy)
- Grief Recovery Specialist (Grief Recovery Method) (UK)
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming, Practitioner and Master Practitioner Level (Rob Whitewood, Sydney Australia)
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming, Master Practitioner and Trainer Level (Pip McKay, Sydney Australia)
- The Journey Method (Brandon Bays and Kevin Billett, Journey Australasia)
- Replacing Stockholm Syndrome with a New Framework of Appeasement (Stephen Porges, Polyvagal Institute)
- Attachment, Contact, and Identity (Michael Mokrus, Polarity, Zurich, Switzerland)
- Professional Grief Accompaniment for Families with Early Child Loss During Pregnancy, Pre and Postnatally (Franziska Maurer, kindsverlust.ch, Bern, Switzerland)
- Attachment and Relationship (Rafia Morgan and Turiya Hannover, Italy)
- Male and Female Dynamics, Inner Man & Inner Woman (Rafia Morgan and Turiya Hannover, Croatia)
- Essence Work, Lataif (Rafia Morgan and Turiya Hannover, Italy)
- Path of Love (Rafia Morgan and Turiya Hannover, UK)
- Support for Family Survivors of Suicide Victims (Verein Refugium, Zurich, Switzerland)
- ASIST Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (Living Works, Sydney, Australia)
- Enneagram (Brandon Bays and Kevin Billett, Australia)
- Family Constellation (Australia and Switzerland)
- Focusing (Eugene Gendlin, Sydney, Australia)
- Touch for Health – Kinesiology (Nature Care College, Sydney, Australia)
- Transaction Analysis, Gestalt Therapy, Creative Interventions in Psychotherapy, Sandplay (Sydney, Australia)
- Grief and Loss Specialisation (ACAP, Sydney, Australia)
- Family and Relationship Training (John Gottman, Australia)
- Voice Dialogue (Hal and Sidra Stone, Australia)
- Quadritiny Process (Volker Krohn, Melbourne, Australia)
- Bridging the Grief Gap: Building a Bridge of Understanding Between the Bereaved and Their Support Network, 2021
- Das erste Jahr nach dem Verlust eines Kindes überleben: Persönliche Geschichten von trauernden Eltern, 2018
- Surviving My First Year of Child Loss: Personal Stories from Grieving Parents, 2017
- May We All Heal: Creative Healing After Loss, 2016
- Trauernde Eltern: Wie ein Paar den Verlust eines Kindes überlebt, 2015
- Grieving Parents: Surviving Loss as a Couple, 2014
- Ezine Articles – various articles written by Nathalie Himmelrich
- Still Standing Magazine – various articles written by Nathalie Himmelrich
- Nach Kindstod: Zwischen Freude und Trauer – Interview with Nathalie Himmelrich, Migros Magazin (in German)
- Sie hält Erinnerung an die Sternenkinder wach – Interview with Nathalie Himmelrich, Zürichsee Zeitung (in German)
- Mutter-los – Interview with Nathalie Himmelrich, Erlenbacher Dorfbott, Seite 3 (in German)
- Zwischen Freude und Trauer – TV Interview with Nathalie Himmelrich Talk Täglich, Tele Züri (in German)
- Swiss German and German – native speaker
- English – native speaker
- French, Italian, Spanish – good to very good command
Who I am
Author | Publisher | Coach | Counsellor | Mentor | Teacher | Mother | Woman
Behind these titles and image is – me, Nathalie, a sensitive human being.
I want to be real with you.
I don’t always look like this. Sometimes I look and feel really worn out by the challenges life and death have presented me with.
Sometimes it feels to me that my body has aged more than the years I carry: Shaped by life and death, by grief and healing, by falling down and getting up again and again.
You would have seen many faces of the bereaved in me, sad and angry, questioning and depressed, crying or numb. If you stayed long enough, you would have also seen faces of the resilient one coming alive, slowly getting up, letting questions rest, gathering hope, searching and finding new meaning, creating new purpose, and integrating losses into my life after loss. And, I have come to the place of integration, the place where I remember and honour those memories and at the same time continue creating meaningful meaning in my life. Not because I have come eye to eye with death, but despite it.
I have a fierce intention to bring support and healing to bereaved people. I hope to meet you on that path.
Besides writing, I work privately with individuals and couples who want to be supported in their grief process and/or with their relationship challenges following the loss of a loved one.
Becoming who I am today
The story behind the story
Born in Switzerland I moved overseas and lived abroad for 15 years, 5 years in Singapore, and 10 years in Sydney, Australia.
Now, I live back in Switzerland, near my beautiful hometown of Zurich, with my partner and Ananda Mae, my surviving twin daughter.
My interests always related to human interactions, first, as a friend, appreciated as an attentive listener, then as a teacher, loved by students due to my empathy, and then as a counsellor and coach, because of my non-judgemental acceptance, compassion, and authenticity.
My experience with life and death
In 2011, I gave birth to twin girls and my younger twin daughter died on the third day due to Potter’s Syndrome. In subsequent years, I experienced two miscarriages. Birth and death were the most impactful experiences in my life, which have enriched me with an intense and deeply personal understanding of human suffering in grief and loss. Four and a half months after my daughter’s death, my mother died following intense years of depression due to suicide.
My intention is to bring more light to the taboo topics of child loss, suicide, and the reality of grief by being open and honest about these experiences.
Comments from readers of my articles and notes, which I wrote during my grieving phase, led me to write my first book Grieving Parents: Surviving Loss as a Couple. This was really like a catalyst for all those that followed and a jolt into following my passion and intention of supporting the bereaved. My area of passion and specialty is relationships and grief.
My passion is writing and re-thinking human behavior and emoting. I write for magazines and on my websites, and you can also read my daughter’s blog, where she writes letters to her identical twin sister, who left her body at the young age of 3 days.
When I’m not writing, you may find me reading, hand lettering, or running after my daughter.
* Schedule a Call – 30 minutes Discovery Sessions
There are limited time slots available so please be on time.
I’m sorry to inform you that the Discovery Sessions are no longer free due to the large number of no-shows.
There will be a booking fee of CHF 95 (what is that in another currency? Find out here) to secure your booking. By booking a time you accept the cancellation policy as referred to here within the terms and conditions.
If you decide to continue working with Nathalie this booking fee will be taken off the counseling package fee.
If you do not show up within the first 10 minutes, you forfeit your session. It is assumed you have canceled the session.
Please be respectful of Nathalie’s offer of her time.
Make sure to check the time zone the calendar is showing. If there are no time slots available check back later – the calendar is open 30 days in advance – or book a fully paid session directly with Nathalie.
What People Say
Since our last session, I feel the deepest gratitude. It was the day that many things changed for me: I have integrated all my children into my life and given them the space they deserve. I gave them names, intuitively sensing whether each of them was a girl or a boy.
I experience a deep shift, the way I experience my life, my life as a woman, as a mother with children who are not alive. There is a feeling of peace, healing and fullness which I didn’t experience before. It is as if a deep wound of my being a woman was able to heal.– Treena, Vienna
Nathalie is a special person who is able to assist when there seems no answer or hope. She has the unique ability to put life’s turns and twists into an amazing perspective and leave you feeling encouraged, optimistic and calm.
All that she does is very practical and immediately effective. She has the ability to change people’s lives and particularly long term, destructive patterns in the most gentle way. Before I met Nathalie I was somewhat of a cynic about “counsellors” and business coaches but now I will be eternally grateful.– Mandy, Melbourne