Self-Appreciation is the foundation of a healthy self-image and goes hand in hand with self-esteem and self-confidence. It starts with accepting the self and the way in which it is showing up in this life. This might not happen overnight but as a process of self-discovery. Developing self-appreciation will lead to a fuller, healthier and happier life.
Self-judgment and the judgment of others happen as the product of a consciousness developing to a certain level of self-awareness. Self-judgment diminishes self-appreciation when the individual internalizes the consequences that stem from these judgments. Therefore it is crucial to nurture self-esteem and practice self-appreciation to assure the health and well-being of the individual.
Use the following technique to allow Self-Appreciation into your life:
The Bucket of Self-Appreciation
- Prepare a bucket and label it ‘Bucket of Self-Appreciation’
- Prepare small pieces of paper and a pen to write
- Finish the sentence “I appreciate myself for…” or “What I like about me is…” and write each sentence on one piece of paper
- Once there is nothing else left to be written, read out loud each statement for yourself and allow any feelings to surface. Give yourself plenty of time to be with each piece of paper so the statement can be fully embodied
- Feel yourself flooded with the light of self-appreciation, if you prefer close your eyes
- Drop the piece of paper in the bucket
- Continue until all pieces are in the bucket
- In the end, you might want to create a space for all the little pieces of paper, for example, a ‘beautiful box of adorations’. Keep this box somewhere and continuously add to it. Make this your place for self-adoration
- If someone gives you a compliment in future, add another piece to the box
- Whenever you are feeling not so good about yourself, open the box and re-read your statements. Remember that they are true statements about you!
Start looking for reasons to adore yourself now. Celebrate your uniqueness!
Leave a Reply