‘When you decide that it is yours, you’ll understand that along with that grief comes an amazing life of living after loss because you have something that no one else can ever, ever have. And that is the love, that is the love – that’s the love that remains.’
Melo has experienced three multiple significant losses in a short time frame. In this interview, she explains how through grief it felt as if she lost her mind and found it again in her journey with grief and trauma.
About this week’s guest
Melo Garcia, a grief specialist, assists those who have lost what isn’t replaceable. She created After Chloe, an online community that provides support, resources, and assistance through the difficult grief journey, in honor of her daughter Chloe who passed away in 2011, and after losing both her parents.
Melo felt it necessary to help others deal with the grief and loss life presents from death, divorce, identity, age, fertility, and empty-nesting by creating various types of solutions that the grieving finds a life worth living.
In 2021 she started the podcast, The Resilience of Grieving, and hosts an annual online Summit during the holidays to provide resources to grievers.
Melo allows you to speak your grief in your way, a way that will assist you and inspire you to live and grieve. Find out more about Melo on After Chloe on Instagram.
Topics discussed in this episode
- Compound grief: The death of Melo’s father, mother, and baby daughter Chloe in the time span of two years
- How to deal with therapists who do not speak grief
- How to understand trauma and how grief and trauma have changed her and shaped her life
- Self-help through bibliotherapy
Resources mentioned in this episode
- What Remains: A Memoir of Fate, Friendship, and Love by Carole Radziwil
- Which Book?? Elisabeth Kübler-Ross, David Kessler
- A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of a Course in Miracles by Marianne Williamson
- Grieving Parents: Surviving Loss as a Couple by Nathalie Himmelrich
- I Had a Miscarriage: A Memoir, a Movement by Jessica Zucker
- Motherless Mothers: How Losing a Mother Shapes the Parent You Become by Hope Edelman
- Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself by Melody Beattie
- The Grief Club: The Secret to Getting Through All Kinds of Change by Melody Beattie
–> For more information, please visit Nathalie’s website.
–> Join the podcast’s Instagram page.
Thanks for listening to HOW TO DEAL WITH GRIEF AND TRAUMA. If you’d like to be updated on future episodes, please subscribe to my newsletter on Nathalie Himmelrich.com
If you need grief support, please contact me for a FREE 30 min discovery session.
HOW TO DEAL WITH GRIEF AND TRAUMA is produced and edited by me, Nathalie Himmelrich.
Support this Podcast
To support this podcast, please rate, review, subscribe to, or follow the podcast on Apple, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thank you.
Remember to keep breathing, I promise, it will get easier.